Tuesday, March 14, 2006

To my darling niece Reilly Kate.....

another letter I wrote.. this one to my cousin Heather. I attached it to a gift for Reilly Kate.


Dear Heather & Michael,
I just wanted a chance to tell you the meaning behind this gift...... I found it in an angel catalog I receive. This picture is titled “Remembering”. As you may or may not know I personally believe in angels and heaven and collect angel figurines, dolls, paintings, etc..... I saw this picture and first just thought it reminded me of a picture of Heather when she was about 2 years old. Then, the picture brought on new life. I have always believed that children (souls)pick their parents long before conception and the beauty behind this picture of a child (a soul) looking down from the heavens patiently awaiting return reaffirmed my belief.
I can remember being in awe as a child looking at the picture of the angel hovering over the children walking over the bridge in my “auntie Kathies” house. The theory that there is someone watching over you, weather you feel you need it or not , has always been a source of comfort for me. This is especially great to me now as a parent looking for answers to a child’s questions of why things happen in this world.
I also believe that babies are our closest link to the angels and heaven. You can smell it in their hair, feel it in the softness of their skin, and see it in their eyes when they look past you at “nothing”. I believe when babies are looking at “nothing” they are visiting with their angels. Wendy witnessed on several occasions Leif’s angels when he was a baby. There were times when he would awaken from a nap and his mobile turned on by itself, entertaining him until she arrived. Another time she walked into the room where he was sleeping to discover a little girl watching over him as he slept.
I myself never had this type of encounter , but I did encounter what I call an omen. For two new parents who have already had a health scare with their child you both can appreciate my story. The morning of Dylan’s first surgery July 14th, 1994 about 5 am Dan and I were driving on Sheridan road towards Evanston hospital. It was a beautiful morning. The sun was shinning, birds singing, dew on the grass .. you get the picture. People were running, biking, and walking on both sides of the street, cars were in front of and behind us..... We were probably driving about 30 mph when Dan slowed down and stopped. The world had stopped. There were no cars in front or behind us, the bikers, runners, walkers were gone. It was just Dan, Dylan, and myself inside our car and a beautiful fawn standing 20 feet in front of our car alone. The fawn watched us for what seemed like hours. We sat there frozen and listened to Dylan cooing in the back seat and enjoyed this special moment, a gift that was sent to us to let us know “everything would be okay”. The fawn finally stepped up on the curb and walked through the back yard of this huge beautiful home and stopped one last time to turn its head as if “making sure we got the message”. When the fawn disappeared from sight cars were on both sides of the road, people were walking, running, biking... time had started again. 30 seconds previous I had been worried and now I was at ease and felt this tremendous pressure lifted.
For me, this was proof that God will not put anything on you that you can not handle. Being a parent this is crucial to keep in mind when things get tough. No matter what the situation, remember.... all things happen for a reason and look at this picture and realize.. you were chosen by her, your beautiful daughter, Reilly Kate. (pretty smart baby if you ask me!)
With love on this joyous occasion, Melissa

1 comment:

The Histrionics of a Fat Housewife said...

This was the best letter ever. It makes me cry every time I read it. Honestly, Melissa, that letter was such an eye opener for me. I feel like I got to know a new, deeper you in that letter. A you a cherish. Thank you.