Sunday, February 07, 2010

COZUMEL ~ BABYMOON

Sorry to post and run.. BUT Tim hurt himself on our trip so I have to take him to the ER.. if you are curious about our trip read on...



Happy babymoon to you..
Happy babymoon to you…. Hmmmm but of course.. nothing can ever start as smoothly as we would like. Tuesday night Tim’s grandma Ruth passed away after a 8 day battle, the wake scheduled for Friday night and the funeral for Saturday (today the day we are leaving to go to Cozumel for our babymoon). Due to timing of course we couldn’t go to both. Sooooooooooooooo our limo arrives, we get to the airport a half hour earlier than scheduled.. we get in a HUGE long line and wait.. and wait… and wait… we get our seats and head to the food court thinking it will be a fast meal and then waiting at security.. we get through security and find our gate and sit and sit.. boarding time comes and goes.. comes and goes.. I go to the bathroom and come back and Tim announces.. “GUESS WHAT” ….. GROAN… “just GUESS” so I guess.. we are delayed for a cracked windshield.. if this is an omen of what’s to come I’m not sure if I’m happy or not. Last trip to AZ with the dog and kids we were delayed at the gate for 4 hours for the same thing with 3 kids and a dog.. sigh.. not fun. That trip was not fun and it started that bad. So again.. here we sit.. waiting.. waiting… waiting… sigh.

FIRST FULL DAY IN COZUMEL
Well first I’ll start with the rest of last night. Our plane finally left around 8pm only 3 hours late, the pilot said that he could make up a half hour so our flight would be 3 hours 20 minutes.. they offered a free movie, of course one I’d already seen… THE PROPOSAL.. oh well. I guess normally there is NO MOVIE so we were supposed to be happy.. after the broken windshield the mechanics couldn’t get the film off the new windshield because of the cold. Then during the safety check there was a malfunction with the landing gear.. great JUST GREAT.. then we had to wait for awhile to get a spot to take off.. after taxing out we finally took off very smoothly… about half way through the movie they stopped it to ask if anyone was onboard that was a doctor or nurse.. UMM REALLY.. someone was having a heart attack on our plane!! As soon as this happened the pilot dropped the plane as if descending, they got everything under control and we finally made it to Cozumel around 11:30pm. We got off the plane and scurried inside to get through the endless line at customs all along the way “Carlos” our guide yelling at us that we were all “doing it wrong”. Yeah the flight attendants had given us wrong information that if we made a mistake we could cross it out.. oh well.. So finally we get through, get our bags and go through the safety check. Tim and I pressed the red button and neither of us were chosen for the random check. Whoooo let’s go.. outside we were greeted by our Apple reps and found our buses and loaded. 10 minutes later we took off and 20 minutes later we made it to the hotel. We get our room only to find they gave us 2 double size beds instead of a king.. but again this is an apple issue with booking on line.. they never give you that option and in the past we’ve always been able to pick once we got to the resort.. I was SERIOUSLY hungry and asked if there was any food being served at a bar and the desk clerk said no.. we went to our room and opened some snacks intended for the flight home and drank some bottled water and went to bed.
Sighhhh.. our beds.. I think sleeping on concrete would actually be more comfortable.. seriously this is how bad the beds are here.. I wake up every hour or so because my entire side of my body is asleep.. UMM HOW DOES THAT HAPPEN? I’ve been a side sleeper my entire life and here I am having to wake up to flip over because everything on one side is asleep.. sigh.. is it the pregnant body or the beds? I think the beds.
So after our first pretty unrestful night Tim and I woke up, took quick showers (there is no hot water in our room) and go to breakfast.. of course I can’t find anything I like so I’m just going up to the buffet and grabbing anything because I’m hungry. We ate then went to our Apple welcoming meeting. Of course, many other people had some major complaints about this resort.. it’s not what we are used to for sure but you get what you pay for and in the past we’ve been pretty lucky.. not that it’s a bad resort but they gave many people double rooms instead of kings and other people have complained about everything from “disgustingly dirty rooms” to “recycled food” which is true.. they bring things from the lunch over to the dinner so you are constantly eating the same basic foods.
After lunch we came back to the room because I was just exhausted.. who knows why.. but I was. I fell asleep about 2 minutes after I realized Tim was asleep but I woke up maybe an hour later and watched some TV. Luckily there are 2 English channels. Tim slept until 5pm and there was no way I was waking him up.. he was actually snoring at some points which means he was OUT. He must have needed it.
We woke up and went to dinner and then I grabbed a book and hung out in the lobby to start reading and Tim headed to the bar with some people we had met to drink. We met a ton of people from the Chicago/Illinois area but then also Wisconsin and Canada. It’s been fun so far, no swimming or normal Mexico activity.. I do have to say that every person I ask for milk has questioned me on it like “whyyyy milk” one waiter actually told me “sorry my cow has the day off” lol!
Tim and I found a ton of little creatures all over the resort. Lots of iguanas, and gecko looking creatures along with birds and butterflies. Tim likes the hummingbirds because even though they are so small they seem to stand still because they move sooo fast you can hardly see them move. I’m already well into my Nicholas Sparks book A Bend in the Road. It’s amazing so far.
It’s 11:30pm and of course I’m exhausted so I’m logging off.. hopefully I’ll be able to post these blogs soon. There is no office here, or free internet even for a few minutes each day. We have to buy an internet card so I think I’ll wait until I’m desperate! Lol! 

FULL 2ND DAY
Here we are.. not much to report about today.. I was feeling much better. I think yesterday I was dehydrated because today I felt very pregnant looking even though I didn’t look any bigger than I looked the day before. Strange. The baby is full Olympics mode.. today was use of the umbilical cord as uneven bars as I sat by the pool reading. I just finished The Bend in the Road and have started the THE LOVELY BONES. So far so good. I’m so glad to just be reading but I know it’s bugging Tim because all he wants me to do is sit with him and everyone else at the bar.

Tim got pretty blized this afternoon.. he sat at the swim up bar all afternoon with some of the people we met and came back just in time to go meet our Apple rep to make a reservation to go on an excursion on Wednesday. I’ll have to post more about that later.
Going to get back to my book and maybe a movie.. not super tired today but I don’t want to over do it either. It was still a busy day even though we just hung out at the pool! 
WEDNESDAY
This is the first and only excursion we decided to take off the resort… and now I remember why.. my vacation castapo husband always wants to plan each minute of each vacation with an itinerary and wants to get each of these things done. Tuesday we laid low and just hung out. I actually managed to sneak a nap in the afternoon, not long.. but enough. We had dinner at the Chinese restaurant here in the hotel. You can only book two nights at the specialty restaurants here so we figured we would try it.. it was the best meal we’ve had since we have been here. After that we went back to our room and watched a movie and went to bed early. We had to be up early for our wonderful adventure today.. yeah soooo around 2am I woke Tim up to make sure that it wasn’t past 6am and that our wake up call hadn’t been missed. From then on neither one of us got much sleep… sigh.. oh well.. 5:15am the phone rings and our adventure begins.
I wanted to stop in for a quick breakfast at 6am which the front desk clearly states continental breakfast starts at 6am.. we got there at 6am sharp and got yelled at AFTER we got our food for being early.. hmm whatever.. we ate and hurried to get our taxi.. off we went towards the ferry that would take us over to Playa Del Carmen. We got there in 15 minutes.. our apple rep had told us it would take longer so there we sat waiting for the 7am ferry. We got on board and Tim wanted to go upstairs so we could sit outside but I was freezing and wanted to sit inside… sigh.. that’s where the fun ENDED for me. About 9 minutes into the 30 minute cruise over to the main land I got sick.. and sick again, and sick again… so here I am yaking in a garbage can and feeling miserable.. we docked then off to our taxi.. got the taxi that took us to our bus that took us to like 3 other resorts and met up with several other vans to pick up more people. It was totally crazy.. we stopped at some roadside store to use the bathrooms and shop. I managed to get some cookies and a banana to stay down.
Off to Chichen Itza.. yeah one of the 7 wonders of the world and I was MISERABLE! I was super weak, had a major headache, felt seasick even after the 3 hour bus ride and was out in the sun listening to this tour guide talk and talk about nothing in particular that interested me. I decided to high tail it back to the trees where they had some benches and wait for Tim while he finished his tour. I met up with some other ladies who didn’t want to be there either and we chatted while we wait for the 3 hour tour to be done (yes it was a 3 hour tour and they came back).
The next part was actually fun.. a 5 minute ride to this amazing Mexican restaurant. Their fried beans were BLUE and amazing!!! Between that and the Squirt soda I drank half of, my stomach and full body felt MUCH BETTER. Finally off to IK KIL to swim.. of course it was so packed only Tim wound up swimming there.. hopefully I can load some pics of this part.. it was amazing and I was actually starting to enjoy myself.. we got a few ok pics of us throughout the day.
Finally back on the bus SIGH. So we got done eating at 3:30pm so the Apple rep told us we would be back on the resort by 7:30-8pm.. so I’m thinking.. ok I should have at least 2-3 hours to digest.. umm yeah.. we left the water hole at 4:24 and didn’t get on the ferry until 8pm.. sooooo at least I had 4 ½ hours to digest before the boat ride back to Cozumel. We carefully picked our seat on the boat on the lower deck in the middle near the back over the engine. I had Tim talk the whole way home which he struggled with but managed. We got back to the dock and I had not thrown up once WHOOO HOOOO!! I was very excited.. found a taxi and got back to the resort with just 20 minutes to grab some dinner before they closed. I immediately felt sick when we sat at the table like we were still moving so the only things that stayed down was ice cream and bean salad.. oh well.. such is life.
I’m exhausted to I’m going to watch the rest of the movie I missed last night and settle in for the night.. it is 10:15!!! Yikes.. long day.

LAST DAYS
Well.. the time has come.. it’s Friday night and we leave tomorrow evening.. strange thing is they’ll let us stay until 7pm on the resort and keep our wrist bands to eat/drink all day.. but we have to check out of our rooms at noon. I guess we’ll get a hospitality room later in the day to shower and change clothes before our trip but I have no clue how it will work with our beach towel cards and our baggage will be in a locked room.. hmm we’ll see.
Last night and tonight we went to the show here… sigh.. nothing great I have to say at least it’s something but I’ve seen better grade school talent shows in my lifetime. Each night has the same dancers as the night before just different music and costumes. Not one dance has yet to NOT HAVE a wardrobe malfunction. Tonight was really great because one of the dancers made Tim come up on stage and dance with her.. ha ha!! He doesn’t dance but he played nice and went up there.. luckily they brought other people up there too and he was in the wayyyy back so all the pics I have are of other people and you can see Tim in the background.. of course I had no idea how to use the video feature on our camera which would have been useful.
What else.. hmmm? Not much else.. hung out at the beach today and then the pool.. then realized I had little critters literally crawling out of my swimsuit and a ton of sand in my suit so I finally left the pool to go shower. The amount of sand that can get caught in your suit never ceases to amaze me. Lol!
Ok so our adventure ends tomorrow.. I’m a bit sad because there are things we of course just never did and figured we’d have enough time.. oh well. Such is life. Never even made it to the front desk to get some internet time.. oh well.. it was expensive like $15 for 45 minutes or something.. ouch. We’ll see what we can squeeze in before our adventure home. I just can’t wait to get home to our bed!! 

HOMEWARD BOUND
Okay so here we are on the way back.. our trip back so far (crossing fingers) has been much less dramatic than the voyage to Cozumel.. so far our only snafu would have to be that security at the airport refused to talk to the ticket agents standing not more than 100 feet from where we stood in line because our tickets that were just given to us at the counter were not specific that we were flying from Cozumel to Chicago.. it just had a place for a destination no orgin.. ummm you don’t have this same flight same airline every week and see this every week?? Finally they let us through. Had time to shop at the airport but didn’t buy anything other than an apple.
Today at the resort we had our last breakfast and lunch, hung at the pool one last time and packed.. checked out at noon but didn’t have to leave until 7pm to catch our flight… so we checked out, then gave our bags to the bell boys who locked them up for us and just hung out.. then at 4pm we made an appointment to use a hospitality room and took a quick shower and then headed out for dinner.. We went to this great place just a few minutes drive from out resort. Yummy.
Not much else to report other than I’m super tired and can’t wait to get home!!

No comments: