Wednesday, July 07, 2004

The big WC aka Typhoid Mary......

Okay.. well I've made some mentions in my last post as to being sick. Well as it turns out I have Whopping Cough.. Tim has named me the big WC and a neighbor calls me Typhoid Mary.. Nice huh?? Yes. I went to the dr and he told me I had bronchitis, gave me a presciption, and shooed me out the door (thanks for the $25 copay have a nice day). 4 days later not only did I feel the same, but sometimes worse. I didn't think that I had ANY symptoms of bronchitis so I called the dr. The nurse said that he would call back during the day. Waiting.. waiting... waiting... nothing.. called back at 5pm and the answering service answers and says that they make all their call backs between 5 and 6pm. Okay cool.. yea, eating dinner at 6:30pm.. no call back!! Geez. Up all night coughing 3 nights in a row, calling in to work sick 2 days in a row while we are understaffed due to 2 weddings in our office on the same day, I go back to work and start talking to another co-worker that is coughing up a lung. She tells me she took her two boys to the dr the day before and the dr told he whooping cough is going around and to be careful etc... Okay... let's look up whooping cough on the net.. hmmm.... wow... sounds like me... you feel fine most of the time EXCEPT when you are coughing and not breathing! I call the dr again, freaking out because my son can't have the vaccination for whooping cough because it causes seizures, and the nurse schedules me another appointment for that day. Okay, so I walk in and the nurse tells me that there has been 3 other cases just that week in their office. The doctor orders a blood test (which the results won't be back in for 7 days) gives me several new prescriptions plus extends my antibiotics for another 4 days. Okay, so now I tote around antibiotics, day time cough medicine, and 2 inhalers. I also have night time cough medicine which I feel makes me worse. The doctor said I caught it early and hopefully I won't go into a the full blown second phase which is the worst part of the illness, however, upon waking up this morning every time I coughed my throat would close up and I was gasping for air.... given the whooping cough is officially here. RRRRR... the illness can last up to 3 months and even after that you are super susceptible to other illnesses including colds, bronchitis, and pneumonia. Yea, nice.. this is gonna be a long summer!

No comments: