Wednesday, May 02, 2007

sleepy Blue smell..

Yes.. it's something I'm totally addicted to.. the smell of Blue after he sleeps. It smells like Frito chips... weird huh? It's very intoxiating to me and I don't even know why because I hate Frito's! lol! But for whatever reason this morning I awoke with my baby right next to my chest facing me... and there he was just looking at me half asleep.. the air was cool and crisp outside of our little warm caccoon and I could tell behind the drapes that the sun was warm and bright. Another beautiful day beginning... so I just lay there as long as I could until almost 7:30 then I got us up and as I pick up my sleeping puppy he made some sort of a whine and of course I answered him with "Yeah I know, I'd rather stay in bed all day and sleep with you too" of course followed by a kiss on the top of his perfect little velvet head.

And so I adore him more every day with reminders in the background that each day is precious.. Amy (my co-worker & friend) had to put her beloved 12 year old beagle Holly to sleep on Monday... something that has been a long time coming since she was diagnosed with cancer almost 2 years ago. Amy made the right decision for the dog, she was old, tired, not eating, what she did eat she threw up, she was losing weight really fast, and the life was just sucked out of her.. it wasn't even her anymore. Amy looked at Holly and knew the time had come to make the descision and like any other time in Amy's life of course this too came within the days of a joyous event. Amy's daughters first birthday was April 24th and the party set for the 28th. Amy's husband talked with the vet and tried to find a way to make this the easiest way possible considering that family from out of town would be in and he didn't want Holly dying overshadowing every crevice of what should remembered as a joyous event. The vet agreed and they made the appointment for Monday following the party. Amy spent Sunday with Holly the entire day by her side. I can only imagine that she stroked her fur and cuddled her head in her hands and kissed her over and over. Amy tried to prepare herself the best she could for the event, however, when all has been said and done she states she wasn't prepared in the least... something coming for 2 years, however, there was no way to prepare her for the actual event.. calling the vet to discuss costs was completely morbid and the words could barley come out of her mouth over the phone. When she reached the vets office she had to stand in the waiting room holding Holly in a pink blanket. She said Holly was shaking, and the vets assistant held her as she died... she asked if it was over and it was... she left the vet holding the blanket in total shock.. not knowing what to believe.. and she went home to grieve..

Also our friends Amy & Ron had to put their 12 year old pekanise (sp?) Cody to sleep just the weekend prior. He was old, having accidents, blind, had problems with his legs, starting nipping at their 1 year old son.. it was time. They seemed to have moved on with their lives by the time I saw them on the following Saturday but then again they were really busy with their move...

And again this morning on the WW chat rooms one lady was speaking about how she took time off during the day yesterday to go with her mom and brother to go put her mothers 14 y.o. lab to sleep... again.. all old dogs.. all had wonderful lives with owners that loved and cared for them.. what a decision to have to make for them.

Of course that brings me to my question.. I've been thinking about this for some time as my co-worker Amy has had many run ins with the fatal decision to finally put this dog to sleep... every couple months she'd take a turn for the worse and she'd say "it's time" and "I can't do this anymore" but making the actual decision to walk into that vets office and to walk out after telling someone and paying someone to kill your pet.. it makes me wonder why is there not that option for humans? or why the option for pets has ever been discovered.. it's a horrible descision to have to make and I know especially on a day like today where I got to lay in bed for a few precious momments and just bask in my love for my puppy, that the day that I make that decision will be one of my worst days...

So here is to Holly, Cody, and my WW'ers moms lab... you were loved here on earth and your owners miss you....

No comments: