Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Happy 3rd Birthday Blue!

So here we are.. the play on 3's this year.. Dylan 13, Tim 30, Dad 30.. not anymore are they the 3 amigo's.. Blue is now part of that making them the 4 amigo's.. but I guess they all have April birthday's and Blue is on the devil day 6/6.

Last night I lay awake long after I should have fallen asleep.. I was thinking of where Blue might have been born, what his mother might have been like, the horrible conditions, his mother turning him away from her so he wouldn't want to feed from her because she was so weak and hadn't eaten or had fresh water in weeks.. her paws dirty and bloody clinging to the bottom of a wire cage... the horrible place she had to give birth in every 6 months or so of her life.. living only to breed. The sounds of other dogs in pain and agony around her, the stench of feces and urine, and maybe a few dead animals laying around... the filth, the bugs, the disease. Each dog never knowing a kind human who loved and adored them.. and there lays my little guy all perfect and blue making the strangest little whine as he slept. Almost as he too was remembering his birth, his mother, the cages, the stench, the sounds of agony. I feel horrible that I myself have contributed to that, and honestly I didn't know when I paid for him. I felt confident that I had asked all the right questions and had found someone that wasn't a back yard breeder or worse yet in connection with a puppy mill.. but a few weeks later I was proven wrong with his AKC papers came in the mail and sure enough, the name of the woman I did my entire transaction with was no where to be seen anywhere on the forms. Instead "Watson" was the name I looked at... etched into my head that the name of my god parents, I would have never forgotten that name... and so I wonder just where he came from, if really the images in my head are true or if it was even worse than that... I can only imagine.. and I know now since the day I've had him, he was my fate. He was meant to be my dog, my baby, my companion.. everything I wanted (minus the "broker" status) and I have now learned a huge lesson in the world of animals and will never be a buyer at any pet store, on line, brokerage, etc. I will hunt for my next animal only through shelters or rescue firms because even though I love Blue and wouldn't trade him for the world, the lives of innocent animals will not be supported by me for them to live in such horrible conditions while their owners sit pretty in their homes driving nice cars, expensive clothes and jewelery, all the while living a lie to themselves and the world.. there is a special place in hell for those people...

Anyway... I'm here to celebrate Blue's 3rd birthday and today will be special.. he'll get some doggy ice cream (as he did on Monday night but it took him 20 minutes to eat half and got a super bad brain freeze and refused to eat anymore) and if it rains and I don't go biking maybe I'll take him the barkery for some treats. But regardless of how we spend the day together, tonight he'll be snug in my arms, warm, dry, and hopefully not having nightmares of his past that I worry so much about. Poor little babe. Happy 3rd Birthday baby boy Blue!

No comments: