Saturday, November 11, 2006

"it's about touching lives"

so here it is.. Saturday morning... the night after I had salty food at a pampered chef party, followed by taco bell... didn't drink/eat at the bar, but I weighed in a a few lbs less than I was last month, so I'm good with that. So the meeting hadn't begun yet and I went up front to grab another meeting schedule so I'd have one for my little weigh in book to keep handy. I walk up front and the lady who works there that Carolyn and I have always thought was bitchy (but really just has a dry sense of humor) is talking to this little girl. She was probably between 10-12 years old, overweight, and crying. She was telling the little girl that the hardest part of doing WW and losing weigh is walking in that door and she did it. I wanted so badly to walk up to the little girl and tell her about all the years of struggle I've gone through with my weight and if I had started at her age when the problem started that life would have been much easier for me. I didn't want to ruin the attention that the WW lady had with the little girl and she had already said the best thing she could have said to her, so I left at that. The little girl and her mom stayed for the meeting so I tried my best to make the meeting sound fun and upbeat, adding tons of comments here and there, etc. When I got up to leave, the little girl and mom were sitting behind me and staying for the "beginners" after meeting and I again really wanted to say something, but the little girl had her head down. I know exactly how she was feeling, but I know in a few weeks that head will come up as those lbs start shedding themselves. She will be leading a much healthier happier life in just a few weeks time. I hope to see that little girl again at the meetings. I went up front to buy the measured serving spoons I had wanted for awhile and I stood in line to pay with the lady who had been talking to the little girl and I told her what an awesome thing she had done for that little girl. She actually smiled at me and said "thank you, it's not about the paycheck, it's about touching lives" and she really did her "duty" today! As I was driving home it made me think about how I've said and others have told me I'd make a great WW leader. I had said a few times that if I was going to do it, I wanted to wait a full year past my "lifetime" status date. Well that date is approaching in about 4 months, so the next time I get that little flyer about WW employee information, I'll definately be at that meeting because after all.. "it's about touching lives"

No comments: